Archive for November, 2010
Jimmy Stewart recites his ode to a dog named Beau.
(Please pass the kleenex.)
- Some people started singing it not knowing what it was… #
- Man, I hate it when the Spaniards steal my technology. #
- On a serious Buffy binge. Why have I never watched this show before? #
- Someday I'm going to whip up a batch of these chocolate chip pecan cookies… made with bacon grease. http://bit.ly/9RaYYO #
- My husband is planning a Buffy intervention for me. Five episodes a day isn't bad. Well, six. I can quit whenever I want. #
- How we spend our Friday nights: making sound effects for How It's Made. #gettingold #
Most Kindle books are wonderful, and I adore my Kindle. But I’ve recently run across a book that was scanned in and not checked for formatting or scanning errors, and it annoys me. It’s a novel called The Land of Laughs I ran across in the comments of a Boing Boing story.
So here’s the note I sent to Amazon about it:
Comments:Dear Amazon -”
I just wan- tecl you to know that the Kinclle version of #8230;The Land of Laughs -” a Novel is riclclled with stray characters, scanning issues, and other prob- lems that eat away at the enjoyment of reacling a good book.#8230;
This mess- age might be a little over the top…” but it’s representa- tive of the types of errors founcl in the text.#8230;
I got a response back a couple of hours later saying they have asked for it to be corrected and would let me know when a new version is available. Cool!
- Colt McCoy runs from zombies? http://bit.ly/b7G7ec #
- THERE IS NO ANDREW AT THIS NUMBER I DO NOT WANT YOUR ONLINE COLLEGE COURSES LEAVE ME ALONE #
- A wasp got in the house and my mighty hunter kitty tried to eat it. Guess who got stung on the lip? #
- Kitty is sticking his wasp-stung face into the air conditioning vent. Pretty smart, that kitty. #
- Apparently Andrew DiCarlo gave out my cell phone number when applying for some crappy debit card. If I meet him, I'm going to punch him. #
- Other people's children are so cute. #
- There are some real gems in this ST:TNG photo album (Klingons knitting! Data + Stephen Hawking!) http://bit.ly/cfo9MR #
I made this out of Wollmeise Twin in the Spice Market colorway.
This was a really, really miserably written pattern that I bought for $6 because both kids wanted a shrug made from it.
Imagine my horror when I downloaded the pattern and realized that it was knit in five separate pieces, all flat! Even the sleeves were knit flat and had instructions like, “Working 16 row pattern as given for 4th size of Back starting with 9th row of patt counting first and last inc sts as one st on inc rows worked on Back. Work 64 rows inc in st at each end of 9th and every foll 8th row, working inc sts in patt. 49 sts.”
WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??
Friends and neighbors, I pondered on those two sentences for two hours. An hour per sentence. And then, I said to myself, “Self? Why are we pondering on this? Let’s write our own sleeve pattern! We know what stitch count we need!”
And damned if I didn’t write my own sleeve pattern.
Bolstered by my success, I went on to adapt the body pattern to be knit flat so as to avoid having to seam up the sides. I’m currently working it this way on the second shrug. So far, so good. I have written up my extensive pattern notes on my
- Walking Dead: BRILLIANT. First time a zombie show has made me cry. #
- Frustration is making EIGHT different gauge swatches for the same project. What is WRONG with me? #
- "Did you do your homework?" "Sister helped me." "Did she tell you the answers?" "Yes. She was very good at helping me." #
- Neato, Syfy just turned into the Golf Channel! Yay! Not. #
- Ni-night, you crazy election people. #
- News.com.au apologizes for an egregious error: http://bit.ly/bkHCWy #
- Life got you down? Step one: crack up http://youtu.be/muc0kaQtCMU Step two: Die laughing http://youtu.be/kufkvrgk4xo (Watch in order!!) #
- The second video from my post yesterday: http://youtu.be/xYubZoycACw #
- Sweater ahoy! http://flic.kr/p/8QNFGb #
- Quit being so self-absorbed. Your mom's only going to be around for a couple more months. Tell her you love her. #tweetyour16yearoldself #
- The entirety of Star Wars: A New Hope in one Facebook thread: http://bzfd.it/cjeJk2 #
- The first time The Beast and the Harlot came on in RB3, I was laughing too hard to fake-sing it. Please say it's supposed to be a joke! #
- I want to KICK the knitting pattern in the NONO place. #
Presented with no comment: