Archive for August, 2011
An article I wrote for PromicinPower.com.
[IMAGE: A smiling woman handing out flyers on a busy sidewalk]
Helping out in the War Against the War Against Promicin is easy! Our main asset is information. Too many people are being educated about promicin by sensationalist politicians and media. To that end, here are some specific things that you can do to help people understand that promicin is beneficial, not evil:
• Talk to people about promicin! Talk to your family, your work mates, your teachers, your pastors, your neighbors – anyone. Find out what they know about promicin and gently and politely correct any misconceptions they have. Make sure they understand that nobody is ever forced to take it, and that promicin abilities have the potential to save enormous numbers of lives.
• Write letters! Let your congresspeople know that you oppose anti-promicin legislation. Here is a sample letter for you – be sure to add any personalization you like, and mail it in. Postal mail is much more effective than email.
Dear Representative or Senator X,
I am writing to you in concern for the proposed legislation that would ban the use of promicin, as well as promicin-related abilities. As you know, those who use promicin are blessed with extraordinary abilities. These abilities could save thousands or even millions of lives.
Although there is a risk involved with injecting promicin, I feel that I should be allowed the chance to make up my own mind and be able to take that risk in the hope of making a difference in the world. Prohibiting promicin is short-term thinking in a long-term situation. Denying us the latitude to take promicin is tantamount to denying us the pursuit of happiness. Please consider this when it comes time to vote down anti-promicin legislation.
• Stage an event! A little attention goes a long way. Make some signs, grab some friends, and hit the streets. Include your best slogans and put “PromicinPower.com” if you would like. When people ask you about your demonstration, take that time to educate them about the benefits of promicin.
– Promicin is a gift
– I’m pro-promicin and I vote
– Promicin: the world is watching
– Don’t let them steal our future: promicin
– Promicin: change the world
– Give promicin a chance
– Promicin to the people!
• Blog it! Let the world know in your words how important you think promicin is. Share your views on a social tagging or social networking site.
• Make flyers! We know how creative people can be. Draw up some flyers and hand them to people (but please don’t put them on cars or stuff – we think that’s littering).
• Contact the media! Write editorials to the newspaper. Call up talk radio. Make the media do its job of providing impartial coverage to the masses by giving them an articulate, well-educated pro-promicin viewpoint to air.
• Above all else! Be a productive and responsible human being. Don’t give the Antis any ammunition to use against us. Don’t let them bait you into being hostile or argumentative. Know that you’re on the right team and no matter what anyone else says to you, they can’t change that.
We’re in this together, so let’s make the most of it!
- And gal! RT @mjandersen: Thanks again to @VisitBtown for being the best free online concierge a guy could ask for #argfest #
- Farewell, #ARGfest 'Twas fun! #
- The TSA very confused by my bar of (replica) Nazi gold. Cc @yoms #ARGfest #
- My 3.5 hour layover is now a 4.5 hour layover. Ta-da! #
- The wifi hotspot access I paid for in concourse B doesn't work in concourse A. Neat! #
- Three loudspeaker announcements at Chicago Midway cut off midstream. The zombie apocalypse has begun. #zombieapocalypse #
- It's possible that the guy next to me on the plane hasn't bathed in the month of August. #
- Some plane fell into my lap. A lovely parting gift! #
- Home again, home again, jiggety jig. #
- All day travel makes me feel like this, too: http://t.co/8JPWaWa #
- People are so weird. #
- Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a light bulb? A: It's an obscure number. You've probably never heard of it. #
- What would I do without the smooth jazz of conference call hold music? #
- Naming the school mascot the Cougars probably seemed like a better idea a few years ago than it does now. #
- Just because it's not in English doesn't mean it can't SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF YOU: http://t.co/Mi1DF9j #
- GDC has gone native. #qrmania /cc @vpisteve http://t.co/Jr163aw #
- There is no brimstone in hell. There is only cilantro. #
- #Transmedia creators should own their work: Silverstring Media » Thoughts from ARGFest: Transmedia Storyteller Fandom: http://t.co/Xk2klyf #
- They have a cave troll. #
- I just found out that "Jiveass" is an acceptable play in Words With Friends. The More You Know* #
- 10 pages of school news letter in Comic Sans. Yay! #
- WET WATER FELL FROM THE SKY I AM EXCITED!!! #
- Han shoots first: http://t.co/P0xu3sO #madeyoulook #
- Got children? This blog is awesome! http://t.co/Ed9ZwKb #
- The Secret Language Code: The study of pronouns in personal writing. Surprising results! http://t.co/CKGJbDk #
- My last tweet about the Secret Language Code was, in fact, legit. It's a cool read. #
- It always puzzles me when players set about to make things even more difficult for game designers. Sheer orneriness? #
- Everyone freaking out about Irene hitting NYC. Isn't it going to slam into North Carolina first? Why no love for them? #
- The doctor's pretty sure that my rampaging 9 year old didn't break my foot 3 weeks ago. Not 100% though. Child abuse! By a child! #
- Today's earworm: BSG Season 4, "Resurrection Hub" http://t.co/UMdY4uh #
- I have been saying "Just wait until you have children of your own" an awful lot lately. #
- I am so in love with the Alternate Histories Etsy store right now: http://t.co/j1SZMcu #
- 103 already. Gluh. #
- Officially deleted my Digg RSS feed and replaced with Reddit. #
- What's better than engagement photos? ZOMBIE engagement photos: http://t.co/6ylzASV #
From ARGTalk, Dave Szulborski’s Fairy Tale Trail which served as the game finale and starred yours truly as a screaming meemie. At the time, my children thought that Mama screaming in the basement was the height of humor, and they spent that whole evening imitating my poor cries of distress.
P.S. If you wanna cheat, the Unfiction thread can tell you how to solve it.
Mashups of player eyes made to look like the Eye of Rambaldi for the end of the Omnifam ARG.
- Found two brown recluses upstairs when I was cleaning out my closet. Sorry, no pics. I'm all itchy now. #
- One of the stranger things I saw in New Orleans: http://t.co/5I5uXoh #
- Composite street photos of New York City: http://t.co/2l0t93p #
- So gratified that my SXSW panel proposal "You might also like" links to "2 Girls, 1 Cup and Your Brand" and "Your Story Sucks." WTF?? #
- My SXSW panel proposal: Transmedia Writing for Screenwriters – http://t.co/in2oPPa #
- Dead rat in the attic + 104 degree heat = phew. #
- 5 brown recluses in my bathroom in the last 2 days. Have to admit I'm a little unnerved. #
- People who douse themselves in perfume before boarding airplanes should be summarily executed. #
- At the Biddle with @Gupfee. We're hungry! #ARGfest #
- Is it bad when your tuna smells like a tire fire? #
- Love that #WorldWithoutOil keeps being brought up (with ILB) as an early definition of ARG success @writerguygames #ARGfest #
- Definitely some of the stranger lunch conversations I've ever had. #ARGfest #
- West Memphis Three freed. Better late than never. #
- Random doodle spotted at #ARGfest #Transmedia @vpisteve http://t.co/EYb4HUE #
- Rapid prototyping and failing quickly seems to be a theme here. #ARGfest #
- JC Hutchins: @gmdclark is the Doc Brown of #Transmedia #ARGfest #
- Beatles Rock Band at #ARGfest http://t.co/WdlEKp8 #
- They can shut off my air conditioning but they won't break my spirit! #ARGfest #
- Closing up shop for the night. See y'all tomorrow! #ARGfest #
- RT @r_giskard: "Fiction + Reality = Fiction" -Reed Berkowitz (@soi) #ARGFest #
- The ARG Museum is called Hoarders: The ARG Edition #ARGfest #
- That's a lot of poison ivy! Look out, Questers! #ARGfest http://t.co/fo2Kxa5 #
- Hospitality suite back open before dinner. #ARGfest #
- The Dalai Lama's brother serves up a mean green curry. Yum! #ARGfest #
- Khaaaaaaaaaan! #ARGfest http://t.co/DTy5CRY #
- Missing swag from the museum? We probably have it in room 217. #ARGfest #